Happily Unmarried

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Update 2 from the Them planet

Happy Womens Day, whatever... The only thing that I am enjoying today is the free lunch that our boss is treating the women to and an assortment of gifts - candles, chocolates etc - that some men have taken the trouble to get for us.

Married life has developed a routine of its own. A juggling act of sorts, the one thing that suffers is my sleep. And not to mention the cheesy dialogues I get when I complain that I am sleepy. "Didn't Jiju let you sleep last night?" (accompanied by batting eyelids) "Hota hai, hota hai... all part of newly married life" (topped with a smirk) . Is there any point explaining that playing daughter-in-law, sister-in-law, wife, daughter and employee requires approximately 40 hour days, not 24?

Then there is the initiation rite - long, detailed cooking lessons on making phulkas, theplas, Gujju dal, etc. They are fun, but I only wish I didn't get these lessons at 6 in the morning when I am comatose.

Sleep becomes highly coveted. The half an hour more you can sneak in when you are making rice is priceless. And... I sound like a total cow. Mooooooooooooooooo. Maybe the Them planet is slowly seeping into my bloodstream. And before you know it, I will be matchmaking for my single friends and telling you the fastest way to make upma in the mornings. Good heavens! Anyone out there who wants to take a supari to get me??

- I

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home