Happily Unmarried

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Wishing for a white christmas

It's all packed in, cloudy, rainy and cold as hell. What is the ppint of weather like this if it doesn't even snow as compensation? Someone should have a word with the Elements and tell them how to do their job.

There are days when it's all clear. I can almost see Rohtang Pass behind my house and down the valley for nearly 30 km from my balcony. The temperature in shade is about 7 degrees but out in the sun you feel like God's chosen one. Snow and mountains against a deep, deep blue sky and the sun warming you up. Purrfect.

When I tried to tell this to H, her reaction was that I sound like a Londoner! But seriously, I have found a new respect for the sun. When I wake up to a sunny morning, I could almost do a sajda to the gods above. I guess this new-found love comes from having lived for the last month in temperatures below 10, sometimes bordering 0 or below. I see frost on the grass and on the straw and twig fences around the apple orchards here. The water in the pipes are frozen in the mornings and if I am not careful when I walk, I could be doing some unintentional-ballet over a frozen bit of water. Knowing my balancing skills however, my neighbours are in no danger of seeing that particular skill of mine. I would have fallen down long before the b of ballet.

But for all my infatuation with nature right now, I have a question - Where is the frigging snow??!! Each time, it snows it stops about 200 mts above my house like there is an invisible barrier that turns all snow to rain below that mark. If anyone from the Elements fraternity is reading this, make not that my infatuation is in danger of wearing out if I don't see some of that white stuff outside my window soon.

Have been trying to catch up with work, but weather like today's is made to snuggle in a razai in front of the heater and read fantasy books. Work is an effor in the best of weathers, but weathers like this only inspires me to get nostalgic, to ponder the ifs and make plans for a sunny day which is hopefully tomorrow... In the meantime if it snows, of course, all else gets postponed for the celebrations.

- I

1 Comments:

  • Don't do this. I can't handle mountain withdrawal symptoms at a time like this.

    By Blogger Ama Dablam, at 3:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home